I’ve been watching Mimi’s YouTube channel for years and I admire how focused and entrepreneurial she is, for this reason I was really excited when a friend told me she got me a ticket for their motivational event (Create Your Dream Life with Alex & Mimi Ikonn) last night.
I was really looking forward to hearing all about how they’ve built such a good life for themselves and they didn’t disappoint! I’d like to advance in my career and the little boost I got from the event got me planning right the day after.
Before you continue reading, here’s a tiny disclaimer: there is little here about the Ikonn’s life in London; however, I believe that what they shared last night was truly inspirational no matter who you are or where you live. If you need some motivation, keep on reading! 🙂
Without further ado, let’s talk about the event.
Creating your vision
After saying hi, Mimi and Alex started talking about the importance of creating a vision for ourselves in order to achieve our goals. They explained we needed to imagine how we’d like our lives to be in the next 3 to 5 years. They said we had to picture a day of our lives in the future, from the moment we woke up until the moment we went back to bed.
They recommended us being very specific while doing the exercise. Since we were visualizing our ideal life, we needed to include as many details as we could; like our jobs, our partners, and the city we were living in.
They told to ask ourselves the following questions: who are you with? what does your room look like? how do you feel? are you happy? excited for the day to come? what are your plans for that day? By doing this -they told us- we were establishing goals for ourselves and setting things into motion.
Alex and Mimi emphasized the importance of defining our core values before creating the vision. They suggested us to go to a corner quiet corner of our homes, and then to picture a moment of our lives when we felt fulfilled and happy. They asked us to pinpoint what made us feel like that: were we helping others or maybe leading them? were we motivated or were we motivating the people around us?
They explained this part of the exercise would help us to discover what we really care about in life and align our vision accordingly.
I have done similar exercises in the past, but what I liked this one it’s that it made me imagine about a WHOLE day -not just a moment – and not for the year ahead, but for way further along the road.
Edit after a couple of months after the event: I think it’s a pretty useful exercise. Doing it won’t magically give you all the answers, but it helps to give you focus and clarity about your goals and desires.
Other tips they shared:
It’s impossible for me to include everything they said on a single blog post, but the following pieces of advice were my
- Find YOUR balance. There say there is too much pressure -particularly on women- to have it all. But having all – career, kids, friends, being fit- is not always possible and sometimes you will need to focus on one aspect of your life if you want something in particular to happen.
- If you are single “Do you”. Instead of focusing on finding the perfect girl/boy, use all the free time you have on learning and bettering yourself.
Study, work,exercise, travel and be as happy as you can. You’ll glow and the world will notice! Alex, after a harsh breakup, was hustling and decided to forget about dating. And then BAM! he met Mimi and the rest is history.
- Don’t care too much -or at all- about people’s opinion about your dreams and goals. Worrying is time-consuming and you need to be mindful with your time.
- Be mindful of what you are doing and who you are spending your time with: don’t waste your precious hours stuck doing only things you don’t love or with
peopleyou don’t like.
- Be smart: quitting your job to become a Youtuber is not the best idea. Plan ahead, take a look at the pros and cons and after doing so, make your move!
- Starting a business and hiring your team? Hire the A team! meaning? you can’t hire mediocre people or people who don’t share your values.
The two of them are as warm and charming in real life as they are on YouTube, if not more.
I was able to speak to both of them and they listened with interest, asked me a couple of questions and were simply brilliant! I would totally attend another of their events, just to get some inspo.
See you soon!